Wednesday 1 October 2014

Work Diary - Tone

Evaluation

I found the tone session quite enjoyable. It was the first time I had shot photos using the black and white mode on the camera. I felt that this benefited the result of my images as I could clearly see in viewfinder the different shadows, highlights and tones of the frame content. This was useful because If I was about to take a photo, but then saw that there was not much variation of tone in the viewfinder I would move on to take a picture of something different, however If I took the pictures in colour I might not be able to see the different tones as clear, and if I then came to Photoshop it to be black and white I might realise that there is not much contrast between the tones. As well as this, I found the tone images enjoyable and easy to edit, as the tone was already very clear due to the black and white camera mode. I also think that some of the camera angles I had used in the session enhanced the pictures and made the tones of the images stand out. I am happy with the outcome of all of my straight Images from this session and think that they all clearly show tone.

If I had to reflect on the negative aspects of this session, I would say one would be that It took me a while to find the right things to shoot. I tried to look for objects which had the most contrasting tones, so that they would show a variety of tones rather than just one. This resulted in a lack of photos, however the ones I did have were good quality. 



I like this photo I took of a rose during the tone session, because there is a large variation of tones in it. I also like how the rose is off centre so that the leaves in the background can be seen. The light tones rose contrasts well against the darker tones of the leaves. One problem of this image is that it not focused on the middle of the rose, but the petals beneath it. This has decreased the quality of the image, but I am still happy with the outcome. 


I am not so happy with this photo on the other hand. Although there is a clear contrast between the light toned sky and the dark toned leave, there is not much variation of tones, which was supposed to be the main focus of the image. If I was to shoot this image again I would take it from a different angle so that this dark silhouette was not created, as this makes the image show shape rather than tones. The light would have been coming down on the top of the leaves, so I should have taken this photograph from above. 


Progression

If I were to go out and shoot tone again I would try to experiment with different angles in order to show tone as clearly as I can. In this shoot I had a bit of trouble with angles, so that the tone was not clear in some of my pictures. I could also try shooting tones in colour. I think this would be a challenge but would result in some interesting images. 

This picture below is an example of the kind of tone photography I would like to try in the future. It is in colour, unlike any of my photos, but the variety of tones is still very clear as the colours are all similar. I think that skies are the best thing to photograph in colour for tone as they always vary in tones and colours. This picture has inspire me to try taking some colour tone images of the sky, as I think it could result in some nice Images like this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment