Thursday 2 October 2014

Work Diary - Movement

Evaluation

Overall I found the movement session very difficult, which resulted in a lack of images produced. I found it hard to actually create a blurred movement look, as the camera sometimes still properly focused. Because of this I had to try a lot of times to shoot the same thing, and ended up deleting most of my images. Also it was hard to angle the camera because I was quickly moving it, so the content in some of the photos is not straight or only fills the corner of the frame. Sometimes when I could create a blur, it did not look effective. 

Despite these negatives, I did end up a few nice movement images. After taking a lot of images moving the camera from left to right, I tried moving it in different ways like vertically or in a circular motion, which worked the best.  



I really like this picture I had taken during the movement session. I moved the camera in a circular motion around me to create this. The camera had focused on my feet and everything around them was circularly blurred. I think this image would have been better if the side of the pavement was straight and in line. I also think it would be better if i adjusted the settings so that the blurring effect was larger and the movement was more obvious. 


This was a result of moving the camera from left to right, creating a horizontal blur. I quite like this image as the movement is clear however the actual buildings do not take up enough space in the frame. If I was to shoot this image again I would take it closer up so that the buildings could be seen more clearly. Colour is shown clearly in this image which I quite like.

Progression

If i were to go out and shoot movement again I would adjust the camera settings so that the blur was larger and more obvious in each image, as i wasted a lot of time trying to create a blur in this shoot. All of my images were taken by me moving the whole camera, however I could have kept the camera still but had something moving in the frame to become blurred, like someone running past. this would have created really good images as the surroundings would be clear but the person would created a blur. This would make their movement more obvious. 

This is an example of the kind of movement photography I would like to create in the future. During my movement photography session, I focused on moving the camera so that everything in the frame became blurred, which didn't work too well. Instead, I should have tried something like this where the person in the frame moves and becomes blurred but the background is still and focused. This could be achieved by adjusting the camera settings in order to create really obvious movement.

 
I could also try it the other way round, so the person in the frame is focused but the background shows movment. I find this quite effective and shows us what that person would be seeing, for example in this photo below.
 
 
These images have inspired to experiment more with movement and try to show movement in different parts of the image, rather than moving the whole camera so that everything is blurry.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment