Wednesday 1 October 2014

Work Diary - Reflection

Evaluation

I enjoyed shooting pictures of reflection and found it quite different to the other formal elements I had shot. Doing this task made me realise just how much reflection there is in a very small area and because of this I found it very easy to shoot photos of reflection, and I ended up with a lot of shots. After finding all of the obvious examples of reflection, I found it enjoyable looking a lot more carefully and thinking more creatively to find less obvious reflections. As well as this, another positive of the session is that it was a very sunny day so the reflections in my photographs came out very well. If there was no sun the reflections would not be clear at all. 

On the other hand, there were some negatives that I found during this session. The main negative being that my photos were all very similar. The most logical and obvious thing to shoot when looking at reflections was windows and anything glass, so the majority of my photos were pictures of these. Because of this a lot of my images were very similar.



This photo is very relevant to the theme of reflection, however i am not too keen on is as it is not very clear. Also, the reflection does not take up much of the frame. I should have taken the photo from a different angle so that the more of the surroundings could be visible in the reflection. Also, it is not clear enough that this image is a reflection. I should have not taken the image so close up, so that the door that had created the reflection could be fully seen. 


I think this photo is quite a creative example of reflection, which is why I quite like it. The reflections are small however very noticeable. This was taken towards the end of the session when i began to look in closer detail for examples of reflection. I like it because it is not the most obvious example, but it still relates to the reflection theme. I also like how the pins are off centre, but still the main focus of the image as they contrast significantly against the dark blue wall. 


Progression

If I were to go out and shoot reflection again, I would try to shoot a wider variation of images to produce unique images. I would look for more unusual reflections to create some interesting images. I would also try to make sure the images were obvious reflections, so I would clearly include the source of reflection in the pictures. 

This picture below Is an example of the kind of reflection photography I would like to try out. As most of my images were of reflections in windows, something like this would have been a more interesting approach. The reflection is very clear and because of the very plain background, it is the reflection that is focussed on. I also like how the reflection is distorted by the ripples as it is quite effective. I want to try and take pictures of reflections in water as they create clearer reflections, and I also like how the reflection is reversed.



No comments:

Post a Comment