Thursday 16 October 2014

Work Diary - Shape

Evaluation

I had a lot of time to photograph shape which resulted in a lot of images taken. At first I did not have much idea of what to photograph, however as time went by I was able to spot more shape around me and examples of shape that weren't so obvious. I tried to use a camera angle which would emphasise the outline of the object, and one idea I had was to position the camera so that the background of the photo was the sky. This made the object form a silhouette which from my research I know is common in shape photography. The dark silhouette contrasted against the light sky in oder to show up the shape very clearly. Another reason I tried to get plain backgrounds in the frame was so that the focus of the image was on the shape and not the content in the background. Sometimes in order to do this I had to move objects around so that they were against a plain background, which made the shape a lot clearer than it would have been if I had photographed it against a complicated background with a lot in the frame. 

One slight problem I had during the shape session was lighting. It was very dull outside which meant that the contrast between the shape of the object and the background was harder to see, which made the shape less obvious. Despite this the sun did come out a few times which enabled me to take some good shape images. 



I really like this image I had taken in the shape session. I had angled the camera to point upwards so that the background of the image was the sky. This caused a clear contrast between  the building dark and the light plain sky, causing a silhouette and a clear outline of the shape. This image also shows lines in the form of the side of the building and the metal pipes. I really like this image and think that that it shows shape very well.


Although this image shows clear bright shapes as the vivid colours contrast a lot against the white background. I do not think it is a good image because of the lighting I had taken it inside so there was no sun, which decreased the quality of the photo. I also think that the coloured people should take up a lot more space in the frame, so that the focus is on the shape and less on the background. The image clearly shows colour, so to make the image focus more on the shape than the colours I could edit the image black and white. This will still clearly show shape in the picture.

Proggression

If I was to go out and take pictures of shape again, I would do it on a bright day so that the shape in the images would be a lot clearer and I would have produced some better quality images. The dull lighting really affected my images and I think they could have all been a lot better if i had taken them in the sun.

This image below is a good example of shape photography. this is the kind of lighting I would have liked when shooting shape, as it really enhances the image. This image works because of the brightness, however if it was a dull day it would not have been as effective because the hands wouldn't contrast enough with the sky, but in this case because the sky is bright blue so the contrast is clear.

No comments:

Post a Comment