Thursday 23 October 2014

Work Diary - Back of head (Studio)

Evaluation

I enjoyed the back of head studio shoot as the quality of the image was a lot better than the location shoot. This was because of the studio lighting which really brought out the different tones in each persons hair. I also preferred the studio shoot to the location shoot because I could shoot against plain coloured background which makes the image focus on the persons head, whereas with the location shoot the background sometimes distracted attention from the main point of the photo. I quite liked using the prop of a feather scarf as this made the images more unique, as it stood out against the plain background.

Something which I found was difficult about this shoot, is that it was hard to get very varied images and there was not many different compositions that could be created in the studio. Because of this many of my images looked very similar, but just with different coloured backgrounds. To overcome this I could have used more than one persons head in an image so that a larger variation of compositions could have been created.


I really like this picture I had taken during the back of head studio session. I like how the jacket and the background are the same colour, so that the bright pink scarf is really contrasting and vibrant. The highlights and shadows in the jacket create visual form and texture. I edited the colours in order to make the feather scarf stand out even more, so that this image shows contrast as well as back of head. The prop causers the image to be quite unusual and abstract which I really like about it. 


Because Vandana has very dark hair, it is hard to see the back of her head against the black background. The pink scarf is the only thing that can really be seen in the picture which defeats the purpose of the shoot. If I was to shoot this image again I would shoot against a different colour background so that the back of head could be seen a lot more clearly.

Progression

If I was to shoot back of head portraiture in the studio again i would experiment with different angles, as in this shoot I shot every picture from the same angle. I would also experiment with different compositions by using more than one head in each picture, which would also make the images more interesting, and take up some of the space in the frame. I would use appropriate backgrounds depending on the colour of the persons hair, as in this shoot it is hard to see the persons head against the background. I feel that the use of props really benefitted my work so I would experiment with more of these if I was to do this shoot again.

This picture below has given me quite a lot of inspiration for back of head photography. With mine, I have only been focussing on the actual head, and been close ups of it, however this image showed me that you can still have a goo back of head image but with more in the frame, like various props. This is a lot more interesting than a simple image of a head, and has a lot more meaning. In this picture the head only takes up a small amount of the frame, but this allows us to see more details in the frame like the guitar which I think really makes the image. After looking at this picture I really want to try and take similar back of head images like this, that include props and more content in the frame rather than just the head.

No comments:

Post a Comment