Thursday 23 October 2014

Work Diary - Studio Form

Evaluation

This was the first time I had shot in the studio and I enjoyed this session. Because of the studio lighting, the highlights and shadows in each picture allowed form to be shown very clearly, and also texture. I liked shooting against plain backgrounds as it made shape more visible, and also did not distract attention away from the main aspect of the image. The plain backgrounds also sometimes contrasted against the content of the image. I am happy with the outcome of this shoot and really like some of the images produced from this session.

A problem I had with shooting form in the studio was that sometimes I found it tricky using the studio camera which i had not used before. The zoom and focus was different to the cameras I had previously used so it took a while to get used to this. Another problem with this session was that It was difficult to get very varied images. All of my pictures were of either faces or clothing, so most of them turned out quite similar.


This picture I had taken during the session shows form very clearly as the highlights and shadows in the jacket contrast against each other. Texture is also very clearly shown which i like about the image. I think that the fact the image only shows clothing, and not a face benefits the picture, however I think that the picture would be even better if I had zoomed in further into the jacket so that the form could have been focused on even more. This would also get rid of the empty space in the frame.


After taking portraits from the front, I wanted to try out different angles in order to create more varied images. I decided to take some portraits from the side, and I liked the result of this angle. Different tones are shown very clearly as highlights are visible at the front of the face, while at the side of the face it is a lot darker so that form is clearly shown. Shape is also visible, as the studio lighting allows the outline of the face to contrast against the dull background.


Progression

If I was to do this shoot again, I would try to shoot more than just faces and clothes. I could bring props into the studio and shoot their form with the studio lighting. I would also try to experiment with more angles as more of my images ended up very similar in this shoot, and there was a lack of images overall. I could include more than one person in the frame to make the images more interesting and so that more form is shown. I could also edit the images in order to make the form the more noticeable part of the image, so for example editing the images black and white so that focus is not on the colour, but more on the tones. 
 
This image below is an example of the type of studio form photography I would like to take. It shows the clear form of an object rather than a person, which I think is more effective. It has also been edited black and white which is a good idea as the tones, shadows and highlights can be seen more clearly. The shadow below it also helps emphasise the form, which us another reason objects would be better for form photography. The way the can is misshaped emphasises the form as there are more shadows and highlights. This image has inspired me to practise more object photography in the studio as I haven't had much practice with this.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment