Monday 13 October 2014

Work Diary - Texture

Evaluation

I really enjoyed taking texture pictures. At first I didn't really notice many textures around me apart from tree trunks and leaves. A lot of the images i was taking were very similar, however the more i looked, the more i noticed less obvious textures, such as worn away paint and cracks in the cement. After looking at other texture photography, I had realised that most if it was taken very close up, so this is what i tried to do with my pictures which really emphasised the texture and benefitted the end result. 

On the other hand, sometimes if was hard to photograph the texture of objects because of the lighting. If the sun wasn't out then the texture wasn't shown very clearly which was the whole point of the task. This made it difficult for me to get many images. Also, sometimes i took images which did not show texture clearly enough as the image was not taken close up enough, and a lot of the surroundings were focused on more than the texture. I realised this and tried to take more images that were very close up and really clearly showed the detail, tones and texture. 


I really like this image I had taken. Lines are shown very clearly in the form of the sides of the bridge, and depth is very clearly shown as the sides of the bridge get smaller the further away they are from the camera. Colour is shown clearly as there are bright green, yellow and blue tones in the image. Despite how much I like this picture, and the formal elements it shows, i do not think this is a good image for texture, as there is a lot more in the frame than the concrete floor. The concrete is also slightly blurred which means the texture can't been seen as clearly. To make this a better image for texture I should have taken the photo as a close up of the floor, which would have made the texture more clear.


I really like the content of this image, as it shows a clearly rough texture. I also like the angle it has been taken from because it emphasises the texture and shows depth because the bumps on the wall further away from the camera are more blurry than the ones nearest the camera. Despite this, because of the dull lighting the texture is not as clear and emphasised and clear as it could be. If i was to take this image again I would make sure the sun was out.

Progression

If i were to go out and shoot texture again i would go on a very sunny day so the texture can be seen very clearly in the images. I would also make sure that the camera was focussed and zoomed on the texture, so that the background or other things in the frame does not distract attention the texture. 

This picture is the kind of texture photography I would like to do in the future. It is a very close up shot in order to clearly show and emphasise the texture. When I shot texture a lot of the images were not taken close up enough, so included other unnecessary things in the frame which distracted attention away from the main feature of the photo, the texture. This picture has definitely made me think about taking pictures closer up in order to emphasise the main aspect and show the detail more clearly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment