Sunday 14 September 2014

Work Diary

Lines Evaluation

I enjoyed the first session in photography when we looked at lines. I found it easier than I had expected to find lines in a small area, and managed to produce a lot of pictures in the amount of time I had. After I had shot pictures of the most obvious, boldest lines I could see, I had to use my creative skills to find other, more discreet examples of lines. I also found that after a while when I found it difficult to find any more lines, I thought that maybe I could move objects around to create a lined effect. For example I placed sticks in a line on the ground in one of my photos. I feel that this was good practise for future photography work as more creativity will help me to produce more interesting and unique images.

I generally didn't find the task of shooting lines very difficult, but if I had to say what I found hardest it would be finding the lines after all of the obvious ones had already been shot. I had to look extra closely to the detail of the objects around me, and this took longer than it had at the beginning of the task. Despite this I liked having a challenge and as I mentioned it encouraged me to use my creativity which is a key skill in photography. Another thing I found slightly tricky was finding the right camera angles to make the photos look the best they could. This is because most of the objects around me were things that I couldn't move like trees, buildings, benches, etc. Because of this I had to keep moving my position while looking into the camera and try out different angles to see what was best.



I quite like this image I had taken during the lines session. I think it clearly shows lines, and also the lines create a silhouette which contrasts well against the blue sky so they can clearly be seen. As well as lines this image shows pattern. Despite these positives, I think this image would have been even better if I had stood directly under the lines and zoomed in closer so that they were straight and seen closer up.



I thought of this idea towards the end of the session, when I had already photographed the obvious examples around me. The white, unstructured line on Vandana's head contrasts significantly against her dark hair, so the shape of the line can clearly be seen. As well as this bold line, less obvious lines are apparent in the form of individual strands of hair, which can be seen due to the highlights in the hair. I like this image because the idea is quite a creative and discreet example of a line, however I think this image would be even better if i had zoomed in more to the hair so that the vivid green colour of the trees could not be seen, as this may distract attention away from the line. 

Progression

If I were to go out and shoot lines again I would try to make my pictures even more creative. To do this I would not just take a photo of what was in front of me, but move things around to create my own picture that relates to the lines theme. I would also experiment more with different camera angles rather than just taking the pictures all from the same angle. I would take pictures of the same object but from different camera angles and then pick out the best one, in order to improve my pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment