Saturday 20 September 2014

Work Diary - Colour

Colour Evaluation

In this session we had to look for and shoot colour. I found this very easy to do as I found there was a lot of colour in the area I was in. I mostly shot very close up so that the focus was  on the colour, rather than the surroundings. As well as this, I moved objects around so that I could creating contrasting photos, such as holding bright coloured flowers against a plain dull background. I thought this would be good because it would show how different colours contrast against each other, and would make the colour of the object stand out. I really enjoyed this session and produced a lot of good shots from it.

I generally found the task quite simple but If i had to point out something I found difficult, it would probably be repeating the same photos. I found myself taking pictures of lots of flowers that were the same, purely because there were a lot around me in the area I was. I could have spent the time walking around to different areas and produced a larger variation of images rather than mostly nature. I know this now for my next session. Despite this, I found the session fun and simple.



I quite like this image I had taken in this session as it shoes a clear contrast between colours. Both the green and the red are quite vivid so the colour in this image is the first thing we notice. Shape is also shown in this image, as the red leaf contrasting against the green leaves allows us to see a clear outline of the red leaf. On the other hand, the building in the background ruins the effect of the image, as this distracts the focus from the contrasting colours. i think that the outcome of this image would have been better if I had taken it closer up so that the building in the background would not be visible, and so that the texture and tones of the leaves could be seen in more detail. 


I am not so happy with this photo, because I do not think it shows colour very well. Although the leaves are clearly a vivid green colour, the wooden structure distracts the attention away from the colour of the leaves, so that the image is more recognisable as showing pattern rather than colour. I should have taken the picture closer hop so that the leaves could be seen in more detail. On the other hand, this image does show a contrast between colours. The bright green leaves contrast against the dull wooden structure.

Progression

If I were to go out and shoot colour again, I would probably try to shoot a larger variation of colour in order to get a wider variation of colour images. I would also use my creative skills a bit more, and rather than just taking an image of what is in front of me, I would move things around to create a good colour image. For example, instead of taking a picture of a flower, I could pick a bright flower and hold it in front of a dull wall, so that when I come to edit it I could make the flower look very vivid and contrasting against the wall, to create a relevant, creative image. I would take the pictures close up so that the colour was the main focus, and would try not to include any of the surroundings in the images as this causes us to focus on these rather than the colour.

No comments:

Post a Comment