Sunday 21 September 2014

Work Diary - Depth

Depth Evaluation

I really enjoyed shooting depth and at first I found that there was quite a lot of depth around me to shoot. I found it quite simple at first and produced some nice images. Something that went well with the session was the camera angles I had used. Once I found something to shoot I moved myself around to try and find an angle that would emphasise the depth the most. This really benefited the outcome of my shots. I also really enjoyed editing my depth shots and experimenting with different effects to see what made the depth really stand out. I am happy with the outcome of this session. 

Although I enjoyed the depth session, I found that after a while it became slightly difficult to find depth after I had taken pictures of all the obvious examples. I had to look extra close to find anything other than buildings and paths. This was the only negative of the session.


I really like this picture I took during the depth session as it clearly shows the depth and the length of the wooden planks. The shadowing also emphasised the depth, and the wooden planks take up the whole frame. I think this photo worked quite well as the planks of wood were long, so that the end of them further away from the camera was blurred, while the camera is focused on the front of them so that the detail and texture can be seen very clearly. Lines can be seen very clearly in this image which help to establish the form.


This picture I took on the other hand, does not show depth very clearly. I tried to take the shot from a low angle so that the pole looked like it was getting smaller at the top, to show depth. This did not work and i should have positioned the camera at the base of the pole pointing upwards. This would have taken up more space in the frame. The surroundings distract attention away from the pole so it would have been better if the background was plain. I think this would be a better image for shape rather than form, as due to the contrast between the poole and the sky, the outline of the pole can be seen very clearly. 


Progression

If I were to go out and shoot depth again I would make sure the angles I was using would really emphasise the depth, and take up the whole frame. I would make sure the background was quite plain so that the focus was not taken from the depth of the image. I would also explore different areas in order to find more depth and create a larger variation of images. 

No comments:

Post a Comment