Saturday 20 September 2014

Work Diary - Pattern

Pattern Evaluation

I enjoyed this session a lot and ended up with, in my opinion, some quite good edits. It was enjoyable looking around for patterns and finding less obvious ones that I hadn't noticed before and to start with, was quite simple. Man-made patterns were a lot easier to find than I had thought, and I ended up with a lot of images of these. I made sure the camera angles I were using emphasised the patterns, for example I would take pictures of patterned leaves very close up, so that the details of the leaf were the focus of the image rather than the surroundings. When photographing man made patterns like a brick wall, I would make sure that it filled up the entire frame so that the repetition of the pattern was visible. I also found it relatively easy editing my pattern shots as I found they mostly spoke for themselves, and I am very happy with the outcome of my pattern straight images.

Something I found difficult was finding natural patterns, and most of the ones I did find were flowers. This lead to most of my natural pattern images looking quite similar. I also had to look a lot closer to detail to find any, which I found quite tricky. I feel that in a different area with more nature, this may have been as easier task as I was in an area surrounded by buildings. Sometimes I found it hard to make the pattern the main focus of the images, and other features stood out more than the pattern, such as the colour or shape.  



I like this picture I had taken during the session, as the patterned leaves take up the whole of the frame. I like how the camera is focused on one leaf nearest the camera, but the other leaves with the same pattern can be seen in the background. This repetition of the pattern makes it a clear feature in the image. Colour is also shown in this image as the leaves are quite vivid. Lines are visible in this image as the patterns on the leaves consist of a variation of lines. 



In this image I was trying to show the pattern in the window, however this aspect of the image is not very clear. The pattern of the bricks is more obvious with the patterns in the window, and to avoid this I should have taken this closer up, so that the pattern in the window filled up the whole frame. One the other hand, this image shows more than one pattern. It shows the brick wall, the window pattern, and the not so clear pattern of the blinds. 


Progression

If I were to go out and shoot patterns again, I would probably go to a different area with more nature in order to get a larger variation of natural pattern shots. I would also use my creativity to make my own pattern with things around me, for example position leaves in a row. Making my own patterns would have made some very interesting and creative shots. I would make sure the pattern filled up the whole of the frame so that this would clearly be the main aspect of the image. 

No comments:

Post a Comment