Thursday 4 December 2014

Work Diary - Walk 1

Evaluation

I enjoyed walk 1 as I was not limited to one specific area like some of the other shoots. I liked how there were 3 things to photograph; back of heads, sense of journey and autumn colours, as this gave me a larger variation of things for me to look for. My favourite part of the walk was taking the sense of journey images as this was something I had not done before.  I found that it allowed me to be more creative than some of the other shoots had allowed me to, as I was creating a scene rather than taking images close up to identify the formal elements. I experimented with depth quite a lot on this walk as I found it made the sense of journey images more effective. I tried to experiment with different angles, so on many cases I took a lot of photos of the same object or scene, but from different angles. I feel this benefitted my work as I was able to look at a range of photos and choose which angle I preferred. 

I found it quite difficult to get very varied images speciffically for autumn colours as this was limited to mostly leaves, so I ended up with a lot of similar images. Despite this I managed to take a lot of varied images for sense of journey and back of heads. Although I enjoyed photographing it, I found it a bit difficult to take images for sense of journey, as this required taking images of a scene, rather than close ups which I took for autumn colours. Even though this was slightly tricky, I still managed to produce a few sense of journey images that I am very happy with.




This picture I had taken during walk 1 shows depth quite well, as the trees get smaller the further away from the camera they are. The dark silhouette of the tree contrasts significantly against the plain white sky, which makes the outline of the tree trunk and the branches very obvious. I like how the texture can be seen on the tree nearest the camera as it is shown very close up. A lot of lines are visible in the form of the branches on the trees. Something I think could be improved in this photo is the lighting, and if i were to take this sam photo again I would make sure to take it earlier, as it was beginning to get dark, but also take it on a sunny day so that the texture and tones in the image could be more obvious.


I really like this picture as it shows depth very clearly to emphasise the length of the bench. I like how there is one leaf very close to the camera while all the others are gathered at the other end, and also how the yellow leaves stand out and contrast against the black bench. Lines are visible in this image in the form of the bench, which also help to show depth. The quality of this image is not as i took this image when it was beginning to get dark. I feel that if I took this image in the sun or daylight the result would be a lot better, and the leaf nearest the camera would be more focused in order to see the texture and tones clearer. 


Progression

If I was to go on walk 1 again I would go on a bright and sunny day in order to improve the quality of the images. The textures, tones and overall detail of different parts of the image would be a lot clearer, therefore making a better quality image. I would also try to take a larger variation of images for autumn colours, as I struggled to think of a lot of things to shoot for this, and ended up with a lot of similar pictures.
 
I found an example of autumn photography which I quite like, and I would like to take similar photos to this in the future. My favourite aspect of this photo is the lighting. The highlights and shadows really add to this image and the autumnal feel of it. It also allows the form of the pumpkin to be clearly seen. This is the kind of lighting I would have like during my walk as it would have enhanced the tones, colours and form. I like the idea of the pumpkin as it symbolises Halloween which is in autumn. This picture made me think about taking pictures of objects that symbolise autumn, rather than just the physical look of autumn. This picture has inspired me to think more creatively when given a topic to photograph, and also think about the kind of lighting I need to create the feel I want in the image.
.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment