Thursday 11 December 2014

Work Diary - Location Contrast 1

Evaluation

I found the location contrast shoot quite difficult. Although I could see many different contrasting colours, I found it difficult to think of things other than colours to photograph. Because of this I ended up with lots of images that were very similar. Most of the photos that I had taken of things that were not colours did not show contrast clearly enough.

Despite this being quite a difficult shoot for me, I did take some quite good photos for contrasting colours which I am happy about. I tried to be creative and composed my own images rather than just taking pictures of objects where they were. For example I found a bright leaf and thought this would be a good example of contrast if I could find a dull surface to put it on.


This image I had taken was supposed to show the contrast between different textures, but because of the dull lighting the difference between the two textures is not that obvious. Also the line separating the two different textures is not clear enough so it is hard to see that they are separate and their is not much contrast between them. I feel that this photo would be a more effective contrast image if the colours of the two different textures were not so similar.


I like this image I had taken during the location contrast shoot, as it shows two types of contrast. We can see the clear contrast between the sizes of the leaves, but there is also contrast between the bright colour of the leaves against the dull colour of the wall. The smaller leaf contains yellow, orange, red and green tones which all contrast against each other as they are all bright colours. Lines are also visible in the form of the leaf veins and the lines between the bricks.


Progression

If I was to go and shoot location contrast again I would make sure to go on a bright day because I found that with this shoot the dull lighting reduced the quality of the photos and made the contrast less clear in the images. Taking pictures in the sun will make the tones clearer and therefore enhancing the contrast. I would use my creativity more and move objects around to make a contrasting image rather than just taking a picture of what is in front of me. I would also try to produce a larger variety of images rather than images that only contrast by colour, and would shoot in a larger variation of locations for more varied images.

This picture below is one I found on the internet. It shows contrast in a very creative way. This is the kind of approach I would like to attempt, and create my own image rather than just taking a picture of what is already there. I like the way this image is so unique and abstract but at the same time the contrast is the part of the image that you notice first. The plain background is effective as there is no distraction from the woman's face. I would defiantly like to try and photograph more creative examples of contrast in the future as this image has inspired me.

No comments:

Post a Comment