Monday 10 November 2014

Work Diary - Studio Contrast

Evaluation

I found studio contrast quite difficult to do, and a lot harder than studio form and studio back of head photography. The first thing I thought of which relates to contrast was contrast between colours, so this is what i started taking pictures of, however after this I found it hard to think of any other types of contrast to photograph. This resulted in a lack of photos, and most of the images I had taken were contrast between colours. I wanted to make sure the contrast was the emphasised feature of the photos, however I wasn't sure how to do this so in some of my images the contrast is not that clear. 

On the other hand, I tried to use my creativity to think of different, unique examples of contrast. I used props to try and do this which resulted in some good images with unusual examples of contrast. 



 This image I had taken during the studio contrast session was supposed to show the contrast in hair length, however this is not made obvious enough. This picture looks more like back of head portraiture rather than contrast. In order to make it clear that the difference in hair length was what I was trying to emphasise, I should have made Connie and Josh put their heads nearer together, and I could also edit it black and white so that the focus is on the context of the image and not the colours, so the contrast is more obvious. On the other hand I could also make the colours more vibrant so that the image could be contrasting in 3 ways, the contrast between the length of hair, gender and colour.




This is an idea I came up with towards the end of the session, once I had shot all the obvious examples of contrast. I wanted to emphasise the difference in height, and used the prop of a ladder to make it clear that this is what I wanted the image to focus on. I really like how this image turned out and I think it clearly shows contrast, while also being unique and abstract.

Progression

If I were to shoot contrast in the studio again, I would probably find more props to use as I found that I had nothing to take pictures of despite people, and props might benefit my work and allow me to be more creative like in the photo using the ladder. I will also try to edit the photos so that the focus is on the contrast, for example if the picture was not showing contrast of colour, I could make the image black and white so that the focus is on the context rather than the colours in the image. 
 
This picture below shows an example of studio contrast, and I would like to take similar images to this in the future. I uses props rather than people to show contrast, which is visible due to the lighting. After looking at this picture I was to experiment photographing objects rather than people, as its something have not practised a lot.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment